The birthday cake
The birthday cake becomes the focal point of a party with everyone gathered around to sing Happy Birthday to the birthday girl or boy. Here are a few ideas for different cakes that you can make.
Butter Cake Recipe
This butter cake recipe is very versatile and can be used to make any number of combinations for a party.
These quantities make one standard cake.
- 125 grams of softened butter
- ⅔ cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and Vanilla Essence (beat until well mixed).
- Add small amounts of flour and milk until well mixed in together.
- Place into a lined and greased tin and cook for 45 mins in an oven pre-heated to 180 °C.
- Test with a skewer to ensure that it is cooked.
- To turn this recipe into a chocolate cake, add 2 tbs of cocoa and 2 tbs of milk to the mixture and beat through.
- Separate mixture into 3 equal parts in different bowls.
- Add a couple of drops of pink food colouring to one part.
- Add 1 tbsp of cocoa and 1 tbsp of milk to one part.
- Now spoon the different mixtures into the tin, one spoonful at a time, so that the colours alternate. To finish off the effect use a knife or skewer and swirl the colours together.